Each year the Columbia Archives and Columbia Open Space work together to map out a course highlighting historical sites and other places of interest as well as beautiful open space and the connectivity of the paths.
Comments from participants confirm that the event succeeded.
- Great trails. Great Scenery. Great Villages
- Pathways are great. We have some very interesting history.
So what did people learn?
- There was a theme park proposed for what is now the Huntington neighborhood
- There are a lot of hilly paths
- Founder of National Symphony Orchestra lived in Columbia
- There are some interesting tot lots
- I really love living here
- There was a Macgill family that was the source of the naming of Macgill's Common
And what makes the BikeAbout so enjoyable? Our riders said:
- Friendly volunteers and folks sharing history of the area
- Beautiful wooded paths
- The beautiful pathways I had never been on and having the card to be stamped for kids with an incentive for a prize. Very motivating & educational for all ages.
- Getting a chance to try new bikepaths without having to worry about getting lost; also liked the information stops, the fresh fruit, the friendly volunteers
- The route, organization, how it was well run. And the bananas.
Each year BikeAbout participants suggest leaving the path markers up permanently so they can take advantage of the 93 miles of paths on their own. Columbia Association is doing something about that. The pilot path signage project is up in the Wilde Lake/Town Center area. And there is a new pathway app.
And for those who would like to take a virtual ride to relive this year's BikeAbout we've added an interactive tool to explore the route. Click here to view our presentation on Prezi. You can use the arrows to move along the path we've designated or use your mouse to explore different areas of the map on your own. The up and down arrows on your keyboard will let you zoom in and out of the presentation; the scroll function on your mouse will work too. Play around with the presentation as you relive BikeAbout 2013.
13th Annual BikeAbout Route / 13th Annual BikeAbout Map
12th Annual BikeAbout Prezi
12th Annual BikeAbout Route / 12th Annual BikeAbout Map
11th Annual BikeAbout Route / 11th Annual BikeAbout Map
10th Annual BikeAbout Route / 10th Annual BikeAbout Map
9th Annual BikeAbout Route
8th Annual BikeAbout Route
7th Annual BikeAbout Route
6th Annual BikeAbout Route
5th Annual BikeAbout Route